Tobacco Plant
Tobacco Check
Can a producer have more than one Certificate of Interest for a crop year?
It is possible to have more than one “Certificate of Interest” for a crop year if the producer had more than one member number in that crop year.

Why are there not payments for years other than 1967 through 1973?
The Board of Directors has authorized the redemption of 1967 through 1973 certificates.

Will I need to file any payment I receive on my tax return?
The gross value of the certificate of interest should have been filed on the tax return of the named producer when the certificate was originally issued. If you have questions check with your tax advisor.

Will I receive a 1099?
No. 1099’s were issued with the original Certificate of Interest.

When can I expect to receive my check?
We expect to issue checks for properly completed, sufficiently documented claims eight (8) weeks after the February 29, 2016 deadline.

Who should apply for a payment?
Producers who delivered tobacco to the cooperative (or their estate beneficiary(s)) in 1967 through 1973 were issued Certificates of Interest.

What documentation will I need?
The original producer needs to provide their certificate (member) number, an updated address, and a signed application. An Estate/Beneficiary/Heir will need to provide information to establish eligibility as a claimant, by completing the application and the notarized affidavit.

Are the Certificate Number and Cooperative Member Number the same as the FC#?

I can’t find my Certificate of Interest? Can I get a copy?
Due to the potential volume of responses we are unable to respond to individual inquiries. Copies of certificates while helpful are not required to process a claim. You may file a claim without the certificate by completing the application form and providing any information that you may have to document your claim.

Do the certificates accrue interest?

Can you send me a form?
Forms may be obtained on the web site or we will send one to you if you send to us a self-addressed stamped envelope. Send the self-addressed stamped envelope to “CERTIFICATE REDEMPTION, 1304 ANNAPOLIS DRIVE, RALEIGH, NC 27608”.

Can I call to get the FC#?
Due to the potential volume of responses we are unable to respond to individual inquiries. If you believe you have a claim, complete the application with as much information as you can provide.

Can more than one person apply for the same certificate?
Certificates were issued to individuals and individual farm entities. In the event of an estate/beneficiary/heir, estate documents generally provide for estate asset distribution. One of the beneficiaries/heirs should complete the application and the notarized affidavit listing the name and address of each beneficiary to the estate. Please note if all beneficiaries do not receive equal distributions. Please do not send copies of wills and death certificates.

What happens to the money if I don’t file a claim?
The holder’s rights regarding the certificates will be maintained.

Can I make changes to my application after received in the office?

Can I call to check on my claim status?
Due to the potential volume of responses we are unable to respond to individual inquiries.

Should I file a separate application for each certificate number?
No. Please include all Certificate numbers for the original producer on one application.

My previous application for the 1967 through 1973 crop was not processed. Should I file an application for these years again?
If you would like to have your 1967 through 1973 certificates redeemed you should file a new application.